Friday, March 5, 2010

The Oscars

Free for All Fridays - O for the Oscars.

I know I have already done O last week - but there is no way I am not writing about the Oscars which is happening 2 days from now. Some families have traditions and for our family one tradition involves the Oscar night. By Sunday noon, we should have our Oscar choices written down and placed in a sealed envelope. Come Sunday night, we sit in front of the TV and open our envelopes and see who gets the most correct choices. Talk about cheesy.

Anyways, here are my choices (although I have not seen a lot of the nominated movies this year).

Best Picture : Avatar; The Blind Side; District 9; An Education; The Hurt Locker; Inglourious Basterds; Precious; A Serious Man; Up; Up in the Air.
My choice : Avatar


Best Director : James Cameron, Avatar; Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker; Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds; Lee Daniels, Precious; Jason Reitman, Up in the Air.
My choice : Avatar


Best Actor : Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart; George Clooney, Up in the Air; Colin Firth, A Single Man; Morgan Freeman, Invictus; Jeremy Renner, The Hurt Locker. My choice : Jeff Bridges

Best Supporting Actor : Matt Damon, Invictus; Woody Harrelson, The Messenger; Christopher Plummer, The Last Station; Stanley Tucci, The Lovely Bones; Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds. My choice : Matt Damon

Best Actress : Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side; Helen Mirren, The Last Station; Carey Mulligan, An Education; Gabourey Sidibe, Precious; Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia. My choice : Sandra Bullock

Best Supporting Actress : Penelope Cruz, Nine; Vera Farmiga, Up in the Air; Maggie Gyllenhaal, Crazy Heart; Anna Kendrick, Up in the Air; Mo’Nique, Precious. My choice : Penelope Cruz

This is one Sunday night I give up sleep. Huh.

2 comments:

  1. I too was rooting for Avatar for Best pic. and realized late on that it was not gonna. Hint? When they pulled out a skit by Borat to poke fun on Avatar. Jim Cameron was ok with it - the Academy, I surmise, would think so when they know he will not win. Rubbing salt into a wound.
    /bmp

    ReplyDelete
  2. BMP,
    Hurt Locker was the favored winner - because a lot of people don't like James Cameron. Avatar is not really Best Picture material - it is kind of overrated, but Hurt Locker was not very engaging either. Of the 10 nominees I did not like the idea that only 2 seemed to stand out. UP was good - inspite it being an animation. Anyway, we can never understand how they pick the merits of a film to become Best Picture. Avatar winning would have made my staying up late worthwhile though ;)

    ReplyDelete