Tuesday, March 13, 2018

My Driving Life - On My Own

And so I now have a driver's license and technically I can drive away. But in reality that is not true with me. I may have passed the test but I am still not confident to drive on my own. Right after I passed the test I went for a 2 week vacation and when I came back - the routine was the same. Hubby drives wherever I want to go. It never occurred to us that I should take the wheel once in a while. The hubby driving is always very convenient.

A year after I had my official license I am back to square 1. This time however is for reals. I have to drive now - if I need to get anywhere. The first time I had to pick up my son at the nearby corner I could not imagine what I was doing. We arrived that is all I knew about that day. After that day I swore I will be driving.

The month of November 2017 was all practice driving on weekends and some week nights. The hubby was beside me all the time and I am bombarded with instructions, reminders, a list of my errors. December 2017 the hubby left for a 3 week vacation. YAY! Finally, it is my time!

The first time I drove on my own was on early new year's day. It had to be new year's day and early for lesser traffic. Drove around the nearby strip mall, practiced parking on the deserted area, drove around several blocks in our area and did it twice. When I noticed more vehicles in the road, I headed home and parked.

Second time to drive on my own was to drop something at a friends' home. I mapped out my route, got out of the garage alright. Not even 500 meters from my place a portion of the road was closed. Darn! I only know of one way to get there. I had to do a quick detour and parked in the nearby strip mall. Then the windshield got foggy and blurry. I had no idea how to get rid of the fog! I thought I must park somewhere so that the sun will evaporate this condensation. I also thought there must be something in this car I have to push to get rid of the fog - or I will return home and abort my plan altogether. Search and push buttons. It worked. Now to re-map my route (hoping for lesser left turns). I made it with 3 left turns!!! Drop the item at my friends' place, did a 3 point turn and headed back home with again 3 left turns. Whew!!

Third time to drive on my own was to drop items at the nearby Salvation Army - an activity that needs to be completed before the hubby arrives. This seems to be an easy run - but it was a work day with normal number of vehicles along busy Kennedy road. It was a successful drive except that I had a little difficulty parking with snow, mud and water. Did not dare go to any other place afterwards.


Straight roads do not make skillful drivers ~ Paulo Coelho

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Hat off to you for driving in that weather. I have been driving for years but, because of the lack of snow, etc., here in Africa, would never ever go out in that weather!! :) (Parking in snow, mud and water??). But more driving practice will make it easier. That quote is so true. Stick with it and almost miraculously you will be fabulous. Thanks for the 'eye' into your world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot, Val. Give me your blog name so I can visit too.

    ReplyDelete