Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Pow Wow - 1

Watching, attending, being in a Pow Wow has been a bucket List entry for me. Imagine my excitement when I got to know, a Pow Wow was currently held in Manitoulin Island. I did not care about the other island sights anymore. I wanted to be there.

 A pow-wow (also powwow or pow wow ) is a gathering of North America's Native people. The word derives from the Narragansett word powwaw, meaning "spiritual leader".

A modern pow-wow is a specific type of event where both Native American and non-Native American people meet to dance, sing, socialize, and honor American Indian culture. There is generally a dancing competition, often with significant prize money awarded. Pow-wows vary in length from one day session of 5 to 6 hours to three days.




No comments:

Post a Comment