Tuesday, August 11, 2009

2 Books

As a follow up to my recent post, The Classics and in my attempt "kuno" to improve my book repertoire - my latest reads are:

The Great Gatsby
Hailed as one of F. Scott Fitzgerald's best work and today widely regarded as a paragon of the Great American Novel. The Great Gatsby has become a standard text in high school and university courses on American literature in countries around the world.

I found it prose and literary, which I believe was the style of writing during those days. As it is short, you can finish it in a day or an afternoon while having tea. However I did not feel much for both Gatsby and Daisy. It does however take you to the New York summer of 1992, when it was fun, glamor, cars and money. I think an updated version can be made as New York has not changed much anyway.


Slaughterhouse Five
Kurt Vonnegut's anti-war science fiction. Funny and sad at the same time, Vonnegut is such a gifted writer when it comes to satire. My imagination is very poor when it comes to reading sci-fi, but this one was not too bad as it was written simply. My favorite lines ?

"That's one thing Earthlings might learn to do,
if they tried hard enough :

Ignore the awful times,
and concentrate on the good ones
".
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five


No comments:

Post a Comment