Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Classics

I've been reading a lot of fiction lately, I felt I needed some change. So, I decided for every 2 fiction novels I read - I read 1 classic. You know, the likes of Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, or even an Ayn Rand.

I know I have read some of these "highly recommended, must read books" during my younger days. Problem is, I don't even remember those stories anymore. Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions, or J.D. Salinger's Catcher on the Rye -- zip, nada - can't recall a thing.

Maybe in this new phase of my life, I will have a better understanding of what these authors were writing about. I just suddenly have this craving.

Truth be told, D is reading more of these "intellectual" stuff and here I am too engrossed with my commercial fiction. Some change is needed.

1 comment:

  1. I've always been fond of reading classics, including mythology. Probably it's because of the stories my mother told us when we were young. She used to borrow books from the teachers in our town and copy the stories in notebooks because we were so poor we could not afford to buy books, even the cheap storybooks.

    I also reread the classics that I have. Para kasing may new realizations na naman po ako pagkatapos kong basahin uli :)

    Sending warm regards on your way.

    ReplyDelete