Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Godless and The Shape of Water

When the weather outside is not anything conducive to going out, so glad there is NetFlix. Recently binge-watched "Godless" a 7 episode Netflix original. Don't let the title mislead you - it is not anything about religion. It is actually a Western with a female twist. And for a person like me who is not a Western fan to keep me still and really watch the 7 episodes one after the other is saying something.

Some episodes were dragging, but the superb acting of everyone in the cast made up for it. From Jack O'Connell, Jeff Daniels, Michelle Dockery to Merritt Wever. Storyline was easy to follow but the cinematography was beautiful showcasing the beauty of the American West. The series had its flaws but for all the almost 7 hours I was glued on the TV set - I had no regrets. I enjoyed the show and would recommend it.


The weather was still cold and streets mushy with snow. Decided to head to the nearby mall and watch Guillermo del Toro's "The Shape of Water". I had no idea what the story was but since it had 13 nominations for the Oscars we decided to give it a try. I think this was my first Guillermo del Toro movie though I know Guillermo's genre is on fantasy and horror. Well, the movie did not turn out as horrifying as I thought it would be. In fact it was a fantasy-romance much like the Filipino folklores were read back home. Musical score, production design and acting stands out. I wonder how it will fare in the Oscars.


And to top it all it was fun to watch out for a lot of Toronto places where the scenes were shot. Check them out here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment