Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Barbara Walters: Auditions

If it's a woman, it's caustic; if it's a man, it's authoritative. ~ Barbara Walters

I guess that quote sums up the story of Barbara Walter as written in her autobiography Auditions. In the book, Barbara shares about her rise to success in a male dominated industry, her award winning interviews, her experiences interviewing Fidel Castro, Anwar Sadat, and Menachem Begin. But the book also had revelations about her private life.

As in any other memoir I read, I am only temporarily intrigued by the big name personalities while the determination and dedication part inspires me. What always catches my attention are the side stories - and in Auditions it is Barbara's relationship with her adopted daughter that touched me.

No matter how successful Barbara became, she yearned for a daughter. Not having one of her own, she adopted one. Mother and daughter love was tested to the limit - but love did prevail in the happy ending. A confirmation of Barbara's popular words "A baby grows from the tummy, an adopted child grew from the heart".

No comments:

Post a Comment