Thursday, August 20, 2009

Movie Marathon

Finally, I found time to watch movies that were shown during the 2008 TIFF. Lesser known movies but still worthy of a film buff's time.

JCVD
Jean Claude Van Damme starring himself as a has been star of low budget films who got involved in a post office robbery/hostage situation. I like the way the story was told. Funny without punchlines, a good actor, and an original screenplay -- made this movie a good festival material . I found the monologue of Van Damme towards the end boring and too long however. Nevertheless a 6 out of 10.

Rachel Getting Married
As if a wedding is not stressful enough for this family -- add the visit of a drug addict (on rehab) sister and you have a touching movie. A family relationship movie that just takes you. Shot like a home video, yet very affecting. Really good acting from Anne Hathaway, I did not know she had it in her. I liked the way the writer added texture to the wedding by having a mixed marriage. It definitely added a different dimension to the whole movie. A 9 out of 10.

Gran Torino
Client Eastwood reliving Dirty Harry, a tame Dirty Harry -- heroic even. I kind of related to the movie -- maybe because I am an immigrant and a minority. Add in the typical issues of handling an elderly parent - and this is not a car movie despite the title. Eastwood really knows his time and place -- he has matured in reel and real time. My kudos to this Hollywood icon for coming up with movies such as this. 7 out of 10.


Burn After Reading
If you want to see George Clooney and Brad Pitt as dorks, then this is the movie. Directed by the award winning Coen brothers - they pulled a surprise on me. I found it entertaining and funny -- my kind of funny. Clooney and Pitt were hilarious here -- although not to the Downey-Kilmer standards I have set from Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. 8 out of 10.


Click here for the list of 2009 TIFF movies. List is available starting today.


1 comment:

  1. I really should get a dvd copy of Rachel getting married, i like Anne Hathaway starrers.

    BTW, i have a tag for you here, thought you might like to share your views. Thanks

    ReplyDelete