Monday, October 5, 2009

3 Feelings - 3 Movies

Some weekends are meant for chilling. . . all in the comfort of home. And of course -- chilling for me means movies till my eyes hurt.

12 Angry Men (1957 - black and white)
A film about the deliberation of a jury in a murder case. Eleven men believes the accused guilty, one thinks he is innocent. Who convinced who? And how could 12 actors stuck in a closed room keep me glued to my couch? It was all in the dialogue, acting and direction. No wonder this movie has withstood the test of time.

Life Is Beautiful (1997)
A highly recommended movie by a few of my office colleagues -- I finally got down to watch it. The first third (to half) of the story almost had me giving up. I found it too slapstick, trying hard funny to the point of being boring. The second half however finally came to its senses. A father's love for his son -- and the things he did to protect him. Telling the story in a comedy against the Nazi concentration camp as a backdrop did not hit my chords. In the end,
- - -neither the comedy nor the drama touched me. Not my kind of movie. (Note : It is a Cannes Film Festival winner and an Oscar nominee for several categories)

Love Affair (1994)
Favorite Hollywood couple Warren Beatty and Annette Bening stars in this romantic movie. Since this is the nth time I watched this movie, I focused more on the cinematography. Beautiful, splendid shots of the location - Tahiti and Moorea in the French Polynesia. I am not a love story fan -- but this is an exception. Will watch it again.

Amazing how movies can make you feel -- or not feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment