Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Back to Books


The boss knows I go for thrillers and mysteries when it comes to books. But once in a while he lends me items that are more his choice. Sara Gruen's "Water for Elephants" was his latest recommended material.

I don't think I would have picked this book myself - but I am glad it was recommended. The story of the orphaned boy who joined the circus told by the man himself from his assisted living home is so much like the circus - magical.

There is humor, there is tenderness, there is action and drama, written in such a beautiful way. You will feel for Jacob when he was 23 and protector of the circus animals - and you will feel for him again at 93 as the grown man eagerly awaiting for his family.

The novel is descriptive, almost lyrical with equal parts adventure, mystery, fictional memoir, love story, and historical account. With a lovely ending too. Just what I needed to calm my nerves. No surprise the book was chosen as one of the top 50 books in 2006.

Highly Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment